Search This Blog

Friday, March 9, 2012

03.09.2012

What constitutes a fajita? Is it the spices used? If you wrap stuff in a tortilla, is it automatically a fajita? Or could that just be a burrito?

In any case...tonight's dinner was chicken fajitas. Yum. I really like steak fajitas made with a nice flank steak that has been marinated briefly in lime juice, but neither flank steak nor skirt steak were in the budget this week. I found a quick and easy recipe quite a while ago for fajitas but I have no idea where that recipe ended up. This recipe is very loosely based on it, but I've put my own spin on it so many times that I really like to call it my own.

Chicken fajitas for 4

2 skinless, boneless chicken breasts
1 red (or orange or yellow) bell pepper thinly sliced
1 jalapeño with seeds and ribs removed, chopped fine (I omitted this tonight)
1 red onion thinly sliced
2 cups of sliced mushrooms
1 cup of frozen corn
1 lime
1 Tbsp canola oil
1 or 2 Tbsp chili powder
salt & pepper
(In the past I have used chunks of zucchini squash or yellow squash too)

Whole Wheat Tortillas (see my blog post of 03.08.12 for the recipe)
sour cream and guacamole for topping fajitas


Juice 1/2 of the lime and pour it over the chicken breasts. Season with salt and pepper and let this hang out about 15 minutes. Grill the chicken breasts about 8 minutes on each side, until the internal temperature reaches 160°. (Note: I LOVE my gas grill and use it 12 months a year in New England! But, you can just bake the chicken breasts, or use a stovetop grill pan.) The chicken needs to rest a bit. While you are waiting for the vegetables to cook you will slice the chicken on a diagonal in 1/4 inch slices.

While the chicken is cooking, heat a sauté pan over medium high heat and add the oil. When the oil is hot, add the onions and cook about 3 minutes. Add the mushrooms and cook another 8 minutes. Add the red pepper and jalapeño, if using,  and cook about 4 minutes more (I add the peppers at the very end because I don't like my peppers to be mushy in the fajitas.) When the vegetables are almost complete, add the chili powder and cook until vegetables are coated and fragrant. Toss in the frozen corn and cook until heated through. When the veggies are done, squeeze the other half of the lime on top.

Transfer the veggies to a platter and top with the sliced chicken.

Serve with warm tortillas, sour cream, guacamole, and any other toppings you like.



No comments:

Post a Comment