Search This Blog

Wednesday, March 7, 2012

03.07.2012

The first entry in my new food blog!

I meant to take a photo of the yummy breakfast I made for me and my daughter this morning (Paul and my son didn't want one...I don't know why!!!) I told Hannah they were "mug muffins"--coffee cake may have turned her off. It was the warmest, tastiest, apple-sauciest breakfast I've ever had. Probably not that great nutrition-wise, but, mmmmmmm. I got the recipe off of Pinterest, my new addiction. 2 Minute Coffee Cake in a Mug is from a great blog called "Heather Likes Food". Why didn't I think of that name? This is a picture provided by Heather.

It took me a bit longer than two minutes to make, but it was so simple and cooked in the microwave for 80 seconds.  I left out the sugar by mistake on the first mug I made. It was really tasty with just the applesauce to sweeten it. So, I just omitted the sugar from the second mug too.

For 1 mug you will need:


1 T butter
2 T sugar
2 T applesauce
vanilla extract, few drops
1/4 c All Purpose flour
1/8 t baking powder
pinch of salt
1 T butter
2 T flour
1 T brown sugar
1/4 tsp cinnamon
In a mug soften 1 tablespoon of butter in microwave, about 5 seconds. Don't melt it.  Stir in 2 tbsp of sugar and mix until well incorporated. Stir in applesauce, vanilla, flour, baking powder, and pinch of salt; stirring until just combined. Use the back of your spoon to smooth it out in the bottom of the mug.
To make the topping, in a separate small bowl, combine 1 tablespoon of butter, 2 tablespoons of flour, 1 tablespoon of brown sugar, and 1/4 teaspoon of cinnamon. Use your fingers to to pinch the butter and mix it in with the other ingredients. When it starts to look like lumpy sand and all ingredients are combined, pour on top of cake batter in mug.
Cook in the  microwave for 50-80 seconds depending on your microwave. It will look just barely set on top. Don't overcook it. I tried 60 seconds at first, then I just kept adding 10 seconds until it was barely set.  It is REALLY hot when you take it out of the microwave. Let it cool a bit, but don't let it get cold, it gets gross.
Dinner was Lasagna Rolls with a green salad.
Lasagna rolls are so much easier to make than a big pan of lasagna. I had some leftover sauce in the freezer from a big pot of "Sunday Gravy" I had made a few weeks ago. This made dinner even tastier. I do use jarred sauce, but would much rather have homemade! This recipe will make 4 or 5 servings.
1/2 box of curly edged lasagna noodles (cooked to less than al dente)
16 oz container of ricotta cheese
1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
2 T chopped flat leaf parsley
1/2 t salt
1/4 t cracked black pepper
1 egg
2 cups of marinara or meat sauce
1 cup of shredded mozzarella cheese for topping
Pour about 1/2 cup of sauce in the bottom of a casserole and spread around.
Mix the cheeses, parsley, egg, salt and pepper in a bowl. 
Lay one noodle flat on your work surface and spread about 3 T of cheese mixture over the noodle in a thin layer. Roll the noodle up like a jelly roll and place it in the casserole. Repeat until you have used all of your cheese mixture. Today I was able to make 8 rolls. 
Pour the remaining sauce all over the top of the rolls then top with more shredded mozzarella.
Bake at 375° until your lasagna goodness is all bubbly -- about 30 minutes. Let it sit about 10 minutes before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment