Search This Blog

Wednesday, April 4, 2012

4.3.12

Do you remember coming home from school to the amazing smell of Snickerdoodles baking? No? Sorry.

It's an unforgettable smell. A memory that I try to recreate often. I am a big chocolate chip cookie fan (crispy, not chewy.) But, every once in a while I realize that I have depleted my supply of chocolate chips. Then I am reminded of the Snickerdoodle. I told my son that we would make cookies this afternoon before I had to head out for carpool. With no chocolate chips in the house, I went straight for the Snickerdoodle recipe. Quite a few years ago I asked my mother if she would give me her Snickerdoode recipe. My dad emailed me a scan from a cookbook. I don't know what cookbook it is from, but it is definitely my mother's recipe.



Here you go. Thanks Mom (and Dad.)

Snickerdoodles (makes about 3 dozen)


Mix together 1 cup soft  shortening
                       1 ½ cups sugar
                       2 eggs
Sift together and stir in
                       2 ¾ cups sifted flour
                       2 t cream of tartar
                       1 t soda
                       ½ t salt


Chill dough.
Preheat oven to 375°F.
Roll into balls the size of small walnuts. (I use a 1 oz ice cream scoop) Roll in mixture of 2 T sugar and 2 t cinnamon. Place about 2” apart on a parchment lined baking sheet. Bake until lightly browned…but still soft—about 8 to 10 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment